Sunday, June 7, 2020

Setting Difficulty

Every scene in a game of Index Card RPG has a built-in target number (known as the difficulty class in 5th Edition). The rule book suggests 10-12 as the baseline difficulty (it's a d20 roll over system), but the mechanic has the referee increasing or decreasing the difficulty as the environment changes. 

I like how this system makes the number you have to beat obvious, but also allows for situational differences. ICRPG even has some monsters that increase the target when they appear, which signifies how terrible that monster is to behold. It's a cool concept.

ICRPG's treatment of difficulty differs greatly from other systems I've experimented with lately. Namely, systems inspired by "old school" role-playing. 

Many of these systems start 1st Level characters out with something like a 30% chance to succeed at any given check. And, in some of them, the percentages don't get that much better even if your character manages to level up a few times.

I get it. These systems mean to encourage players to not make rolls. Find some creative way to overcome an obstacle so that you don't have to risk a dice roll. And I do appreciate that approach.

As a player, though, I also like to see my efforts rewarded with improved chances - rolling with advantage, getting a bonus, or decreasing my risk. Those mechanical elements help me to see that my creativity made a difference. Then, I get to roll the dice, the physical act of which is a stand in for my character taking their action.

Role players preparing to kill their characters (art by Simo Gomez)

Some players want to roll the dice. When my players play a game designed to discourage dice rolls, they're paralyzed. They want to do something so that they can roll dice but they rightly fear doing so will just end poorly.

If you find this happening, start the difficulty at 50% for the average ability score.

So, in d20 systems where the average ability score equals 10 with a modifier of +0, this means rolling over a 10 (so, in 5th Edition terms, a DC of 11).

Then, toss in a little ICRPG if desired. When you descend into the unknown depths, full of darkness and tentacles, maybe you have to beat a 12. Maybe a certain monster cranks that up to 13. I also saw an ICRPG house rule once that an additional lit torch reduces the target number by 1, which is a fun incentive to light more than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment