Thursday, June 25, 2020

Chainmail Difficulty

I have continued to let my thoughts on ability check / saving throw difficulty simmer since my previous post. I've thought all of my thoughts on the subject, for now at least. Here is my take:
  • Unify saves and checks around the 6 ability scores.
  • Use standard target numbers. I don't mean they never change, but a default value always exists.
  • Use the to hit value of chain mail armor as your default target number. For me, that's 15. Why 15?
    • The cool answer: because original D&D descended from the game Chainmail, so it felt fated to be.
    • The real answer: because that is the first number at which you receive favorable results in my d20 reaction roll table.
  • Add a standard bonus equal to level/2 to proficient checks and attacks as well as all saves.
  • Treat checks more as reaction rolls than pass / fail. 15+ gets you an unequivocal success, but 7-14 might get you varying degrees of partial success or complication.
  • Saves are more black and white, pass / fail. Something bad is about to happen to you, either you avoid it or you don't.
  • Always add the standard bonus to saves. Their ability bonuses will differentiate different PCs, but treat them all as proficient at reacting to danger.

A die showing a number you'll never see when you need it

And, that's that. This system results in about the same chances of success as old school saving throws without requiring a reference table, differentiates PCs slightly based on their starting ability bonuses, and stays fairly familiar to the modern gamer.

No comments:

Post a Comment