Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Travel Challenges

For some reason, I like skill challenges.

I think it's the idea of a player stepping into their character and thinking about how the character would solve a problem given their unique talents.

But, every time I've tried to use player-driven skill challenges to depict wilderness travel, it's fallen flat.


The fault lies with me, as the referee. Even if I set basic parameters, my players lack enough detail about the environment and the consequences to devise their own interesting obstacles. Sure, they can come up with something ("I jump over the chasm with Athletics"), but do those really add to the experience?

But, as soon as I start giving them more detail to set the scene, I ask myself "if I'm doing all of this work anyway, why not just run a hex crawl?"

In the future, I plan to take my favorite part of my travel challenges - the failure conditions and ramifications - and meld them into more traditional wilderness travel.

Getting Lost

  • Whenever players take a wilderness turn to travel, roll an encounter die. The most common result is a travel challenge or obstacle rolled on a region-specific table (1-in-2 chance).
  • Players propose a solution to the obstacle. If there is risk involved, call for a saving throw.
  • A failure results in immediate repercussions and a failure added to the journey's tally. Then, they roll up another challenge: players cannot advance to the next hex until they overcome one.
  • If the players accumulate 3 failures, they've wandered off course. Roll to find out what they've wandered into (typically a wandering monster).

I like the idea that getting lost isn't a binary failure but a series of blunders that leads to travel's fail state.

A more improvisational referee could do without the region-specific obstacle table and come up with challenges on the fly, but if I tried that they'd probably end up pretty boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment