Thursday, May 21, 2020

Flickering Torches

I play the only human in a party with infravision. Our referee would probably forget about torches and light in general if I let him. But, I find managing light in the dungeon to be part of the fun.

Still, even with my reminders, I disliked how we hand-waved complications during combat. I would toss the torch down and then play on as if I had light. 

Without researching torch rules in other games, I suggested the following house rules:

  • During combat, a dropped torch has a 1-in-6 chance to flicker out every round
  • If I use the torch as a weapon, it has a 2-in-6 chance to flicker out on a hit
  • If the torch gets drenched with water or buffeted by a gust, it has a 3-in-6 chance to go out, increased depending on the magnitude of the splashing or blowing

A fun way to track torches (cool card courtesy of Dyson Logos)

So far, I've only used the first rule. The jury is still out, but it feels better than nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment